Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It's a...Gummy Bear?

As promised, here is baby's first photo. The original wasn't great to begin with, so a photo of a photo didn't turn out great either, but if you look closely and squint your left eye you can see him/her.

When you have an ultrasound, you're suppose to go in with a full bladder, so I downed 40 oz of water and we ran out the door. I was worried that I hadn't drank it enough ahead of time for it to work, because I didn't feel like I had to go when we arrived. Well when the tech did the first ultrasound she said my bladder was very full. She said she couldn't find anything that way.

I got nervous, thinking of course the worst. Then she did a different style of ultrasound and found the yolk sack, she said the sack was measuring at 6 weeks, and that we couldn't see the baby because it was too early. But that number didn't add up with my LMP so I got even more worried. She insisted that it didn't mean anything was wrong, but I knew better.

She decided she wanted to see my ovaries and went back to the top of my belly. I saw a little thing (not sure what I thought it was) and asked if that was the yolk sack again, she said no...that was the baby! She measured again and again and said the baby is measuring at 8weeks 1day! Much better!! She looked around some more and noticed that my uterus is very "long", and said she wasn't able to see the whole uterus before, so she was cutting off part of the sack. We also got to see the heart beat, (it's still to early to hear it) it was a good strong 163 per minute.

I of course blubbered like a little baby, I always thought it was so corny in movies when they did that, but it's so magical that you can't help but cry. We came home and after gushing over how cute our little gummy bear was, Mister put the photos on the fridge. He's brought it over a few time, noticing new things in the photo, like the umbilical cord, I'm not sure if you're able to see it on the computer, but you can on the photo.

It was a very exciting day, full of worry and then loads of happiness. I can't wait for the next ultrasound to see our baby again!