Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The medical gem that I am

Half my face is now paralyzed, yep... I have Bells Palsy, a virus that's related to the chicken pox virus. I know a lot about this condition, because my dad has had it several times, even though you're not suppose to get it more than once. This virus causes a nerve in the side of your face to swell and to paralyze part of your face.

This all started a few weeks ago. I'm taking folic acid as an extra measure for the pregnancy, I started getting a weird feeling in my mouth, kind of a swollen tongue feeling, my whole mouth just felt weird. So we googled it, and some medical websites stated that it's a side effect of the folic acid, so that was that, I would learn to live with it while I'm on it. Then the swollen feeling went away and I started getting really heavy twitching on just the left side of my face, it was on my chin, my lip, my nose, and my eye. We just assumed that it was due to the folic acid again and thought nothing of it, then the left side of my upper lip stopped working. It turns out that at least the twitching was the palsy coming into play.

Mister and I went out to dinner with my dad and step-mom on Friday night, every time I laughed I could feel that my lip wasn't working right, and I was really self conscious. I asked my dad what his Bells Palsy felt like, thinking it may be that, but what he described didn't fit what I was dealing with, so I brushed it off again thinking it was just the folic acid. When dinner came, it didn't taste right, half my tongue is "numb" so I couldn't taste anything on that side. It's not really numb, kind of a worn off Novocaine feeling.

Saturday night Mister made dinner, hamburgers and fries, something that would usually taste amazing, it fell flat in my mouth. The thing that pushed us over the edge and into the emergency room was when I tried to drink milk and had it dribble all over me, sexy I know. We were a little worried that it may have been a stroke, my face was drooping and I was dribbling all over myself.

I went and got ready and when I tried to rinse my mouth after brushing my teeth, the water squirted all over the place, we got a good laugh too. Then we were off to a visit to the ER. I was not looking forward to a Saturday at the ER, I figured it would be super crowded. We were in and out in 2 hours.

The doctor came in twice, diagnosed me and wrote me a prescription all before the condescending evil nurse even showed. Once she came in, things slowed down. She didn't believe that the doctor told me I had Bells Palsy, she ignored anything Mister said, she was just rude.

Anyway, they gave me an anti-viral and prednisone, prednisone isn't safe during pregnancy, so we're going to talk to my OB about that. Today I have the worst headache I've ever had which is part of the palsy. We bought some Ibuprofin, which we later found out I can't take while pregnant, so we have to go buy something else. Now I'm starving and can't taste a damn thing, I hope that doesn't last.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It's a...Gummy Bear?

As promised, here is baby's first photo. The original wasn't great to begin with, so a photo of a photo didn't turn out great either, but if you look closely and squint your left eye you can see him/her.

When you have an ultrasound, you're suppose to go in with a full bladder, so I downed 40 oz of water and we ran out the door. I was worried that I hadn't drank it enough ahead of time for it to work, because I didn't feel like I had to go when we arrived. Well when the tech did the first ultrasound she said my bladder was very full. She said she couldn't find anything that way.

I got nervous, thinking of course the worst. Then she did a different style of ultrasound and found the yolk sack, she said the sack was measuring at 6 weeks, and that we couldn't see the baby because it was too early. But that number didn't add up with my LMP so I got even more worried. She insisted that it didn't mean anything was wrong, but I knew better.

She decided she wanted to see my ovaries and went back to the top of my belly. I saw a little thing (not sure what I thought it was) and asked if that was the yolk sack again, she said no...that was the baby! She measured again and again and said the baby is measuring at 8weeks 1day! Much better!! She looked around some more and noticed that my uterus is very "long", and said she wasn't able to see the whole uterus before, so she was cutting off part of the sack. We also got to see the heart beat, (it's still to early to hear it) it was a good strong 163 per minute.

I of course blubbered like a little baby, I always thought it was so corny in movies when they did that, but it's so magical that you can't help but cry. We came home and after gushing over how cute our little gummy bear was, Mister put the photos on the fridge. He's brought it over a few time, noticing new things in the photo, like the umbilical cord, I'm not sure if you're able to see it on the computer, but you can on the photo.

It was a very exciting day, full of worry and then loads of happiness. I can't wait for the next ultrasound to see our baby again!

Monday, October 15, 2012

So excited!

We went to my first prenatal appointment last week, and it was kind of a huge waste of time. Because of my size, they couldn't even find my uterus on the in-room ultrasound, so I didn't get to see anything, and I turned down another part of the appointment, so nothing was really done. I did get lab work done, and a glucose test, haven't gotten the results of most of it yet.

Tomorrow is the big day! We're going in for our real ultrasound! We're going to get to see our little Sweet Pea for the first time. Although I know there's a little one growing, trust me...I can feel all the "joys" of this, it will be really nice to see that everything is OK, and to see the heartbeat. It's probably still too early to hear the heartbeat, but you never know. They'll also be able to tell us how far along I am, there is some confusion on that part.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sticker shock

We made the mistake of going to Toys R us last night after dinner. We just needed to get out of the house, and thought it would be fun to look around. Well, it gave us quite a bit of sticker shock. Granted, Toys R us is extremely over priced, but still....can you say craigslist? The only thing we will buy new is the car seat and the crib. There are so many new regulations on cribs, I would love to co-sleep, but I'm medicated at night so I'm afraid it wouldn't be safe. With a car seat, you never know if it's been in an accident or not, unless you know the person it came from. Like if  Mister's brother wanted to give us one of his, because the twins will be almost a year old by then, we would take it, otherwise it will be new.