Saturday, March 30, 2013

Baby Shower!!

I've been wanting to write a post about this for about a week now, but it's taken me that long to recuperate. I was also hoping to have some pictures to add to it, but I haven't seen them yet.

The weeks (yes weeks) leading up to my baby shower were full of stress and anxiety. I was so looking forward to it, but was worried that things wouldn't turn out the way I had pictured in my head. I was afraid no one would show up, that people didn't get their invitations, that there wouldn't be enough food or the right kind of food. Really, I was a complete mess. A week or two before the shower I stepped back from planning, and having any involvement other than just showing up. I'm glad that I did that, because it made it a bigger surprise when I did show up.

Mister had insisted that he wanted to be there for the whole shower, I tried to warn him that it was going to be all ladies and that he would have absolutely no fun, he wouldn't listen. We got to my aunt and uncles house about 30 minutes early, so I would have time to visit with the family that came to help set up, before other people got there. There were already about a half dozen women there, all family but a good amount of them. Mister and I both started to mingle a little, and then a few more ladies came. Mister was doing alright at this point, he knew most everyone there.

I was chatting with my Grandmother who was putting sweet pea seeds in a custom printed envelope. *I'll post a picture of those soon* Mister came up and said there were too many ladies for him, and he was going to go home.....well, yeah I tried to tell ya! That was fine, it's not a manly party by any means.

My step mom was in charge of decorations. Let me tell you what, she was definitely the right person for the job! There were cans of sweet peas throughout the house anchoring down pink and purple pacifier balloons. Vines with paper leafs and flowers climbed the columns, and a giant inflatable sweet pea hung in the entry way. Not to mention the flower pots with custom printed labels that said sweet pea on them! Just too cute! It was beautiful. There were also two huge diaper cakes that two of my cousins made, they were so neat!

One of my aunts was in charge of food, I should have known that there would be more than enough. We had beautiful fruit skewers, a few different dips for chips and crackers, a veggie tray and meatballs. My mom made a beautiful pink cake, with adorable little rattles on it. The special touches to everything were amazing.

The guests that came....so many people, and it was so special to have every single one of them there. I may have gotten super emotional with a few childhood people. One of my oldest, as in dearest, friends came and I started crying. We hugged and bumped pregnant bellies, shes' two weeks ahead of me. I even got to see her mom who I haven't seen in like....15 years or so. Then my childhood babysitter came in, and I lost it. I hugged her a sobbed a little. It was so nice to have so many special people there to welcome Sweet Pea into the world.

Everyone was more than generous. The pile of gifts was a little overwhelming. When I sat down to start opening them, I got a little overwhelmed. I mean....there were 20+ people staring at me! I don't do well with being the center of that much attention. Sweet Pea is going to be the best dressed baby on the block! The outfits were are so adorable! I can't wait to dress her up!

We also had a drawing for gift cards. For each package of diapers you brought, you were entered in to win one of three $15 gift cards. People were extremely generous, and Sweet Pea will have a cute diapered bum for many months. That's the only real game that we did. We had a few planned out, but with so many people there, it wasn't really feasible.

After a majority of the crowd left, I got to sit down and chat with most of the ladies of the family. It was great. The whole day was amazing, more than I could have ever hoped for. It was definitely a day that I will never forget. Thank you to everyone who participated!