Saturday, March 30, 2013

Magic piece of paper

Mister and I aren't married, and we have absolutely no plans on getting married in the future. Shocking, I know. Feel free to pick your jaws up off the floor now.

We are not trying to make some sort of statement. We are not trying to come across as cool or hip by not getting married, especially before having a baby. Believe it or not, some people seem to think this is the case.

I've had a few people comment that, because we're not married and have a baby on the way, they sure hope Mister sticks around...wow. I'm sorry, but does a small piece of paper, magically force someone to "stick around" when they otherwise wouldn't? If we were married, and Mister decided he didn't want to be with me or the baby anymore, would that special piece of paper somehow change his mind? A piece of paper is not a ball and chain. If a person wants to leave, they will leave. There is such a thing as divorce.

The fact of the matter is, Mister and I are married in every sense of the word, except the piece of paper. He is my husband, I am his wife. He supports me through everything, and I him. He has been with me through sickness and health, and we will be together until death do us part. We have been together for nearly 8 years, and have been through more in our relationship than most marriages face. But we're still going strong. If he was going to leave, trust me, it would have happened by now. A baby isn't going to cause us to separate, and to those who think this, get over it. We're happy, and we plan on staying that way.

I'm pretty sure having a baby is not a very good reason to get married. We have every reason under the sun to get married. We love each other unconditionally, we support each other through thick and thin, we enjoy spending all of our time together, and we're growing a beautiful family. Isn't that enough? Shouldn't that make us happy enough? A lot of people don't get to experience this amount of love and support, and a piece of paper isn't going to change that.

For those naysayers, if it bothers you so much that we aren't and don't plan on being married, be thankful you're not us. Because we're in love and happy, and that's all that matters....to us anyway.