Friday, July 5, 2013

Plot twist

The BIL and the kidlets came over the other day. I thought it was a little odd that they wanted to come over here, because we usually go to their house to visit, but whatever. Remember, they had no idea about Sweet Pea, so this was going to be an exciting visit. Or so we thought.

I was sitting in the chair with Sweet Pea sound asleep on my chest, the BIL came in and looked at us and his jaw fell open. The kids filed in behind him, and he asked "you had a baby?" I was really uncomfortable, I started laughing and said "yes, this is Daphne"....BIL immediately picked her up and kissed her cheek. We all giggled and said how weird Mister was for wanting to keep this a secret. The BIL then said he also had a surprise for us. He said he sold his house last week, and he's moving 2,500 miles away next week! He got an amazing job offer, so his wife will be able to stay home with the twins. His three older kids are going to stay in the state with their mom, who for whatever reason can't stand us, so we'll never get to see them. It was a little heartbreaking. I had to excuse myself and go cry in the bedroom.

We all went out to lunch, laughed and had a good time. But the entire time it felt like I was mourning a huge loss. The next day was just as bad. I'm very sad that Sweet Pea is now going to grow up without cousins. It's always been important to me for my children to have cousins. I grew up very close with all of mine, and I wanted her to have that same experience. I don't have any siblings, so it all fell on Mister's family.

For the fourth, we went over to the BIL's house. His wife was visibly upset that we didn't tell them. She had a huge load of baby stuff for us, and said there was so much more just a week earlier. Really, we have no more room for any more haha. They also gave us a really nice infant car seat that supports Sweet Pea much better in the car than the one we had.

We had dinner and lit fireworks. Sweet Pea is very loved by that side of the family and we both now regret not sharing the news sooner. Granted, they knew they were looking for work on the other side of the country about a year ago. If we had known they were planning on leaving, we obviously would have shared the news. But, what's done is done. We will stay in touch through email. If the BIL ever comes to visit, we'll get together, and hopefully see the older kids. I have a feeling we won't see the SIL or the twins ever again. I cried as I hugged the SIL goodbye. She told me to call her if I ever need any advice, that was nice. They also said that they will ship out a box of clothes every few months when the girl twin outgrows hers. That's so generous.

Sounds like Sweet Pea is waking up. Hopefully just long enough to eat, and go to bed for the night. These past few days have been very emotionally draining. Mister and I are more tired than usual, which makes it even harder with a newborn. Pretty much every time she sleeps, we sleep. Which makes us sleep many many hours a day.