Thursday, August 8, 2013

The birth of Sweet Pea

I read this blog before and during my pregnancy. They were really helpful at the time. They really are a great community.

Throughout my entire pregnancy, I envisioned a peaceful natural labor and birth. I even received Hypnobabies from an online friend. I was set to rock this birth! So when Sweet Pea was presenting herself transverse oblique at around 36 weeks and the doctor said I would need a c-section, I was completely devastated. I cried and cried and cried. I belonged to an online community where they kind of presented c-sections as a horrible birth, and I felt like a failure

So came the day of the section. Mister and I met my dad and mom at the hospital bright and early, and I got all hooked up to the monitors. I'd been having braxton hicks contractions for weeks, so when I started having them that morning, I thought nothing of it. I nonchalantly asked the nurse if the monitors were picking up the contractions, she said yes. I asked how often they were happening, it felt pretty often to me. She said every three minutes, and that they were lasting about a minute to a minute and a half, and that I was in early labor!! They checked the position of Sweet Pea, and she was head down! My dreams of having a natural labor were back on track!

Because of all my high risk factors, they didn't want Sweet Pea coming any later that 39 weeks 6 days, so I couldn't go home to labor on my own. I know that I could have put my foot down and said that I was leaving, but the fact of the matter was, I did have many risk factors and I had to put some faith in the doctors. My dad left the room, and the doctors checked me to see how dilated I was, not even a centimeter. It was very early labor.

They started talking pitocin. I refused. I've read a lot about it, and know a few people personally that have had it and then had horrible, HORRIBLE long labors, and then ended with an emergency c-section anyway. Thanks, but no thanks. They then mentioned the foley bulb. I thought I knew what that was. I was wrong about one major part. It goes up PAST the cervix. Ouch, is a major under statement. While they were trying to put it in, I was panicking. Because of past trauma I would assume. I screamed and cried and finally said SCREAMED that I couldn't do this anymore and that I just wanted the c-section. The doctor asked if he could try one more time to put the bulb it, but with just his fingers. I said ok.

All of a sudden, I felt a gush. I said, in an excited tone, "I think I peed myself". The doctor insisted that I didn't, and continued on his way. More gushing happened. "No, I really think I'm peeing myself!" The doctor then said, "OH! Your water broke!" And said that they didn't need to put the foley bulb in, because their goal with those is to get you to four centimeters just so they can break your waters. My dad was then allowed to come back in, and my step-mom soon joined us.

I labored for 6 hours. And nothing changed. Somewhere in there I told my dad and step-mom they could leave, because it could take many, many hours. After those 6 whole hours, I had had enough. I was tired of people wanting access to my vagina. Yes. I'm a wimp. I had been up for well over 24 hours at that point, hadn't eaten since 6PM the night before and I was done. I know there are women that have had much harder labors than I did, and pushed babies out of their vagina's, they're are stronger than I. I told the doctor that I wanted the c-section. I was done. She agreed, that because my waters had been broken for 6 hours already, , and there was no progress that I could have the section. She wasn't pleased, but she agreed.

There was a huge relief in the room when the decision had been made. Mine and Mister's mood's lifted, which in turn lifted my mom's mood. We called my dad and step-mom and told them what was going on. Things then started happening really fast. They started putting IV's in me and bringing scrubs in for Mister. I said my teary goodbye's to my mom and were walking down the hall to the OR.

They had Mister wait outside the OR, so we had to say goodbye. I cried a lot, and gave him a lot of kisses. It's really scary. I was mainly scared of the spinal going in. I was scared that I was too fat, and that they wouldn't be able to get it in. I may have also been scared shitless of the pain. It's a giant needled, in your spine!

There was a wonderful nurse that I can't remember the name of, that helped focus me as I hunched over. I repeated over and over and over, "birth without fear, birth without fear, birth without fear". They had to put the spinal in 3-4 separate times. The sensation is quite different. They would put the tubing down my spine and then tap and ask if it hurt, it would. And they would ask where. This went one a few times until it finally worked. When it did, my legs got all weird and warm. Then they laid me back and brought in Mister. I had never been so happy to see him. They told him he could hold my hand. He didn't let go the whole time.

Sweet Pea's first picture, earth side.
They explained the entire process as they were going. It  was wonderful. I honestly enjoyed it. I could feel everything they were doing, without feeling any pain. I could feel as they pulled Sweet Pea out, and it was amazing!

She didn't cry right away, she kind of just looked around. But when she did, I started crying right along with her.

They delayed her cord clamping for a whole whopping minute. O.o I was hoping for it to stop pulsing, but I can't have everything. Mister did get to cut the cord, they wrapped her up and Mister brought her over to see me. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen! I instantly fell in love.
First kiss from mama


She weighed in at 8 lbs 1.3 oz, and was 19 3/4 inches long. She was and still is the most perfect baby there
8 lbs, 1 oz.
ever could be.

They wrapped her up and gave her to Mister to bring over to me. I got to give her kisses just minutes after she was born. We all stayed in the OR until they were done closing me up, I was fighting sleep at this point. I had been up over 24 hours, and was beyond tired.

They then let Mister take Sweet Pea into the recovery room and inflated a mattress thing under me that made it easier possible to transfer me to my bed. They then moved me into the recovery room with Sweet Pea and Mister.

Skin to skin after first feeding of colostrum
I immediately got to do skin to skin. And although I am not able to breast feed due to a medication that I'm on, I did get to do a few colostrum feedings. She had a great latch, we got a few pictures, but decided to keep them for us.

Recovery went really well. Obviously it hurt, but I was determined to heal as quickly as possible. I was up and walking 12 hours after surgery, and doing things on my own as soon as I could.

I had two amazing nurses that helped with everything when I couldn't do anything for myself. Then there was Beth. Beth was not a good nurse.

I was holding Sweet Pea on my chest, skin to skin. Beth came in, took her from me and swaddled her then placed her in the bassinet next to my bed and said I was teaching her bad habits, by letting her sleep on my chest. O.o Really? I'm teaching my one day old baby bad habits? She also kept telling us that we weren't keeping her warm enough. Sweet Pea has hated being swaddled since day one. She also does not like wearing hats. I was also trying to do as much skin to skin as possible. That's a little difficult to do when they're all bundled up with a hat on!

I enjoyed my birth experience. I don't feel that I was robbed of anything. I got a pretty awesome door prize too!
Ready to go home!!